Thursday, November 21, 2013

Trying out Play Newsstand

Yesterday I realized Google had replaced it's Play Magazine with Play Newsstand, which combines Magazines, blogs, news, etc. into one interface.

Everything you love and more

Subscribe to the publications and topics you care about most and build your very own newsroom. With partners like The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, Esquire, Elle, Vanity Fair, People, Wired, Saveur, Huffington Post, The Guardian, and more - it’s all there, easy to follow, read, and share. (http://play.google.com/about/newsstand/)
I was a little uncertain of how to create the best news stream on my phone so I just started clicking around, adding tech news sources & blogs. Somewhat reminiscent of Google Reader, but with a much more mobile friendly interface for reading.
This morning I decided to dig into ti a bit more, by viewing Newsstand in my laptop browser which was much easier to understand. The browser and mobile versions are a bit different in how you find content to add.
Mobile: from My News there is an ADD MORE button at the bottom, or the Explore option from the left hand menu, which takes you to categories:
Store, Featured, Arts & Photogra