June 13 - August 19, 2011
Through the generosity of the Getty Grant Program, the Gallery will be offering THREE paid, full-time, 10-week summer multicultural internships. These internships are "intended for members of groups underrepresented in the professions related to museums and the visual arts, particularly individuals of African American, Asian, Latino-Hispanic, and Pacific Islander descent."
For more information about the Getty internship, please see the Getty's website.
- currently enrolled undergraduate student and have completed at least one semester of college by June 2011, OR will complete their undergraduate degree by September 1, 2011
- be a resident of OR attend college in Los Angeles County
- be a United States citizen or a permanent resident
Stipend $3,500 for 10 weeks
This is gross salary; taxes will be taken out. Interns are subject to Scripps' hiring and payroll procedures.
- COLLECTIONS/CONSERVATION INTERN: plans for this intern include, but are not limited to:
- Working with an art conservator on various projects, including conservation of sculptural reliefs by John Gregory of scenes from Shakespeare's plays
- Helping to reorganize and clean the Asian Textile collection at Scripps, (after receiving training in how to handle, fold and move textiles)
- Assisting the collection manager with the inventorying and re-housing of prints
- CURATORIAL INTERN: will work with gallery staff to organize an exhibition on Paul Soldner, scheduled for fall 2011. Tasks will include, but not be limited to:
- Researching the work to be displayed
- Writing wall text; the wall text will also be added to the gallery website
- Receive training in digitizing the collection, including color correction, image optimization and general Photoshop skills and digital asset management, including cataloging and best practices
- Help refine the collection of images for art history courses by scanning, cataloging into the visual resources database, checking old records for accuracy, scanning, and preparing images for forthcoming courses;
- Assist with collection maintenance and reorganization
Please send the following to Mary MacNaughton, Director, Williamson Gallery, Scripps College, 1030 Columbia Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711 by 5pm, April 19, 2011:
- transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- names and phone numbers of 3 references
- cover letter describing the academic and work experience that qualify you for the internship
- writing sample of 1,000 words